THE PAGER vs.
THE CELL PHONE
Both the pager and cell phone play important roles in business operations,
but the pager has certain distinct advantages over the cell phone.
- With a pager, messages are delivered quickly and timely. Delivery
of text messages to a cell phone is often delayed especially when the
phone is not in its home area.
- The pager is for work. The phone is for personal use.
- Pagers don’t interrupt or stop conversation like cell phones
do. That’s why you see hospital personnel carrying pagers instead
of cell phones.
- Outfitting a large number of personnel, such as in a hospital, with
pagers is much more cost effective than supplying the personnel with
cell phones, which are much more expensive than a pager.
- Pagers are much more durable than cell phones.
- Monthly service fees for pagers are much lower than cell phones’ monthly
- If lost, pagers are much cheaper to replace than cell phones.